Sunshine Teams are trained Handlers and their companion Therapy Dogs with the mission to bring the benefits of animal companionship to a wide range of populations within our community. The Sunshine Teams visit Mendocino Cost District Hospital, rehabilitation and hospice facilities, schools, senior centers, etc. They allow people and patients to pet and talk to the dogs and tell about their own pets, past and present.
Sunshine Teams bring comfort, confidence and companionship to the sick and hospitalized. Visiting dogs help people feel less lonely and less depressed. They are more active and less stressed after a visit with a dog.
Sunshine Teams’ Certification
Sunshine Teams participate in the following before receiving their Certification.
- Complete Sunshine Team Application
- Sign Sunshine Team Agreement
- Attend a Sunshine Teams Orientation
- AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Test or equivalent
Contact Julie E Apostolu 962-0297 or CGC Classes & Tests
- Therapy Dog must pass MCHS Temperament Test
- Facility Orientation
- Shadows an experienced Sunshine Team on a Facility visit
- An experienced Handler goes with the Sunshine on their first Facilty visit
Sunshine Teams’ Coordinators
Craig Walter 964-4870 or Lindsay Wansbury 964-8328
Sunshine Teams’ Therapy Dog Evaluator
Alberta Cottrell, MCHS 964-7729 or 937-5015